Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Leaving the Desert

So I don't really know that I have passed some spiritual testing or anything like that, but Joel and I are finally starting to move from our personal desert crisis of being broke to one of financial stability. It's been quite a frustrating process, but like most of its kind a learning one. We've learned a lot about community, and about relying on God. I think I mentioned a bit about it before, but basically I was confronted with some real testing of how I trusted in God. I definitely trust in His provision, but was throwing around a lot of catch phrases like, "It'll work out," or "God's in control."  The part that rocked me was realizing how God has promised to provide--not necessarily by getting Joel and I jobs where we could fall into a comfortable income bracket. I saw His provision coming from family, friends, and seemingly random situations. Which was awesome. But I really started to get nervous that it might be permanent, and maybe His way of providing wasn't going to be the way I wanted!

Turns out, God did provide in an awesome way that I was also ok with :o). It took longer than I'd wanted, but I just got a job with the YMCA doing employment development for refugees! It is exactly where I want to be right now.  The job doesn't pay great, but I'm sure in the long run it will still be more than we need.  I've learned a lot about true community and being part of the universal church over the last few weeks, and am starting to view my belongings a lot less as mine, and more as a the possessions of God, intended for His purposes and His people.  They have been lent out to me temporarily, but should be incredibly fluid--much more than I have tended towards in the past.  What would my life look like if I didn't truly own anything?  Definitely a more sold-out version of committed living.  That may sound redundant, but my committed living doesn't always seem very different from normal life.  And it needs to.

So, thanks to everyone that has helped us along the way as we've been struggling somewhat.  Way to be part of the Kingdom here on earth!  I've only had 2 days on the job so far, but they have been so exciting--which is all the more affirmation that I am in the right place and moving in the right direction.  Like I said--He provides!

3 comments:

David said...

I loved this: I've learned a lot about true community and being part of the universal church over the last few weeks, and am starting to view my belongings a lot less as mine, and more as a the possessions of God, intended for His purposes and His people. They have been lent out to me temporarily, but should be incredibly fluid--much more than I have tended towards in the past. What would my life look like if I didn't truly own anything? Definitely a more sold-out version of committed living.

I hope that I can come to a point where I see things that way. I think I've come a long way from the guy who wouldn't lend out DVDs in college, but I still have a long way to go.

Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad that God has provided for you and Joel. He's pretty awesome like that.

Ariah said...

solid

Ariah said...

solid