Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mud Pies at the Ocean

"Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us."
CS Lewis


David's comment on my earlier post made me remember this quote. Basically Lewis gets to the crux of what Paul and as a result I were talking about. Infinite joy, infinite treasure, infinite glory is awaiting us. What are we wasting our time for? Shouldn't our lives reflect our yearning for this--striving to touch the glory, to obtain the reward?

2 comments:

Ariah said...

This is like my favorite Lewis quote of all time (I think).
It's bringing back some old thoughts again, like when I used to be a hardcore (thanks to John Piper) Christian Hedonist (and I still think I am, not sure, haven't thought in those terms much recently).

Great quote.

Devin said...

HOOOORAY for Lewis. This is much like Jonathon Edwards' sermon to youth about considering the greatness and goodness of God above all other things. Pretty amazing.

Sounds a lot like what the world would look like if we all loved God and neighbor. Thanks for the reminder of this great quote!