Monday, September 28, 2009

Redecorating

Just a quick update on how life in our new apartment is going:
We've settled in pretty well so far, and are really liking the neighborhood.  We've been getting to know our neighbors somewhat and hope to really build some relationships there.  We are also really centrally located, only minutes from fun places like the Astro's ballpark and the museum district.  An added bonus is that we are still only 30 minutes from Joel's family, and really close to where I'll be working as well.

Our apartment itself is really pretty fun.  It's 2 bedrooms, which is more than enough space for us--in fact we've been having trouble filling it!! Since we've found ourselves short on seating, Joel and I decided to build a new couch from cardboard.  Joel has been blogging about it some, but I wanted to give an update about it, since my part has now come into play.  Joel's was building the actual structure, my job was to make it something someone would want to sit in.  But the whole goal was to make it 100% recycled and 100% free.  The cardboard took 1 easy trip to the dumpster, but we have been stumped with how to make it look nice.  Well, last night I came across some new items, and am trying to figure out how to use them!  Anyone know anything about furniture upholstering from scratch?







I obtained these fabrics and some cushioning last night.  Although I'll hopefully get my hands on some more cushioning, I am trying to figure out what to do with this material so that it doesn't look like a janky dorm couch (or our other couch, for that matter).  For any artsy readers out there, thoughts or suggestions?  I could really use some help!

6 comments:

Robin said...

Unfortunately, I can't be a whole lot of help here. I've never upholstered anything. But I found an article that might help: http://www.ehow.com/how_2074796_reupholster-couch.html

As far as design goes, I really like those fabrics, especially in contrast to the brick behind them. Nicely done. As far as design goes, I would probably do something like this: http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com/upholstered-two-tone-sofa.jpg
with one color making up the bottom and another for the top cushy part. I also think some brightly colored throw pillows are a must. I'm excited to see how it turns out!!

Joel said...

Hey, have I told you yet how awesome you are?! This fabric is so cool. The pictures are too far away to do it justice, but trust me (to all her other readers) -- it's really cool.

David said...

Alas, I am neither creative nor artsy so I cannot give any thoughts or suggestions. However, I think that this will look awesome when it's done. I can't wait to see it!

Ariah said...

I just want to know what dumpster you acquired the fabrics from?

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

freecycle, actually! although they were heading into a dumpster, i salvaged them prior...the cardboard was in a church dumpster--we sent Joel's little sister in after them!